Welcome to UCR's Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
CAPS is Here to Help for Fall 2020!
We are continuing to provide services via TeleMental Health (phone and secure videoconferencing).
- JOIN A CAPS GROUP - CALL TODAY! OR ATTEND ONE OR ALL OF THE RELATIONSHIP WORKSHOPS! CAPS FALL OPEN HOUSE!! Meet your CAPS team, Win Prizes, Learn some Skills!
- Call to schedule an Appointment or Virtual Walk-In consultation, 951-827-5531 weekdays 9A-4:30P).
- Watch a message from your CAPS Team
- Access Support Resources for self-help and support from home.
- Read how to access therapy services out of state and a UCSHIP member.
- visit COVID-19 for campus updates and information, or Student Health for information or for a telephone screening (951-827-3031).
CAPS Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
CAPS is committed to promoting inclusion and the affirmation of individual and cultural diversity. Our services and training foster the development of healthy behaviors necessary for success in a complex global environment.
CAPS is committed to collaborating with our campus and community partners to best inhabit our Principles of Community. We remind you of their presence and some resources for involvement:
- African Students Programs
- Asian Pacific Student Programs
- Chicano Student Programs
- Middle Eastern Student Center
- Native American Student Programs
- Office of Foster Youth Support Services
- Student Disability Resource Center
- Undocumented Student Programs
- Veterans Resource Center
- Women’s Resource Center
Group Therapy Options for Fall 2020
Sign up for a group today... Call CAPS at 951-827-5531 to schedule an appointment. Be sure to ask about the group(s) you are interested in. Read more about group therapy process.
Relationship Workshop Series - Fall 2020
Fall 2020 Service Updates and Events
Join your CAPS team for our first Virtual Open House Event October 28, 2020!
NEW SERVICES at CAPS:
CAPS is now offering "Virtual Walk-In" Appointments in addition to regular Intake, Individual and Group Appointments. Call 951-827-5531, Select Option 2 to schedule a same day "Virtual Walk-In" Appointment. If you leave a message, you will receive a call back shortly and we will schedule you for a brief consultation with a CAPS clinician. Please Note: This is NOT a crisis line or a therapy visit.
If you are in crisis and urgently want to speak to a counselor, call Call 951-827-5531, Select Option 1 to speak to a crisis counselor 24 hours a day;
For all Life threatening emergencies, call 911 or campus police at 951-827-5222 if on campus.
Insurance Renewals Fall 2020
Insurance Referral Renewals
Renew your insurance referral by calling CAPS at (951) 827-5531, starting 9/28/20.
Note: If you do not obtain a referral for the new insurance year, starting on or before 9/28/20, your visits may not be reimbursed. CAPS does not have discretion over insurance policies.
COVID-19 Service Changes
NOTICE TO CLIENTS – APRIL 11, 2020 UPDATE
As you may are aware, the World Health Organization has declared the COVID-19 a pandemic. As the nation is working to minimize the spread of the virus, UCR Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is following local, state, and national guidance regarding contingency planning related to our delivery of services.
Currently, CAPS is operating via TeleMental Health sessions only (secure videoconferencing and phone sessions). As we have recently transitioned to a remote Telemental Health platform, we ask for patience as we navigate the new platform and are making every effort to streamline the process of getting connected to a clinician for a remote session.
Your well-being is a top priority, and we want to provide you with as much information as possible to allow you to make informed decisions about your needs and continued clinical care.
Immediate Changes to Service Delivery: Effective March 16, 2020
Modality of Services: In an effort to minimize spread of the virus, CAPS has moved to providing support through TeleMental Health only (phone or secure videoconfernencing).
Availability: Due to campus closure staffing restrictions and personal circumstances, a specific provider’s availability may shift quickly and unexpectedly.
Duration: The circumstances are evolving and we will do our best to ensure that we keep our clients and campus up to date as decisions are made regarding service delivery.
- Easy and convenient access. All you need is a smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer with a camera and internet access.
- Zero out of pocket for those with UCSHIP for psychiatry and therapy.
- Short wait times. Most appointments are available within the same week.
- Available to non-UCSHIP insurance plans. Please check to see if your plan has this benefit.
- Use Self-Help Tools mentalhealth.ucr.edu
- Use TAO-
- Self Help, self-guided. It may be helpful to think of TAO as an online library of engaging, interactive programs to learn life skills and to help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life. As you watch videos and engage with our interactive components, you will gain the knowledge, self-awareness, and skills you need to achieve your goals.
- Flexible to meet student’s needs. You can complete TAO at your own pace, whether that is just one session a day, or perhaps two whole modules. It is entirely up to you.
- Wide variety to choose from. Using TAO, you will learn from different modules you chose to use! Some of the biggest challenges facing students these days are available; modules on depression, anxiety, anger, stress management and more.
As always, after hour’s crisis/consultation support will continue to be available. You can reach these services by calling CAPS main line 951-827-5531 and selecting option 1 or calling the direct line at 877-211-3684.
Late Arrival Policy update
Late Arrival Policy (Effective 9/23/19)
- You will be marked a “no-show” if you are 15 minutes late to your scheduled appointment.
- If you are less than 14 minutes late to your scheduled appointment, you will be seen for the remainder of the allotted appointment time.
- If you are late to a specified early-arrival appointment, (e.g., an intake appointment) you may be seen for the remainder of the allotted appointment time. And/or you may be scheduled to return another day to complete that appointment. The decision to be seen for the remainder of the time or to be rescheduled will depend on your arrival time and the clinical judgment of CAPS staff.