Appointment Transportation

Effective July 31, 2023, the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) will discontinue the pilot program that offered non-emergency medical transportation services to enrolled students at UC Riverside, San Diego, Santa Cruz and Los Angeles. Student Health Services will continue to investigate other options for this service in hopes of offering it in the future.

To request Non-Emergency Medical/Psychiatric Transportation, call (951) 827-3031. For Non-Emergency Behavioral Health appointments call (951) 827-5531. For detailed information visit

UCR Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC)

UCR works to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to educational programs and can fully participate in all aspects of campus life. SDRC is the unit designated to receive requests for accommodations, approve services, and coordinate support for students with disabilities to ensure access to the university's educational programs.

A personal consultation with a Disability Specialist will help us tailor a plan to meet your disability-related needs, based on current functional limitations and any requirements of specific classes. Approval of accommodations is based on disability documentation and meeting with a Disability Specialist.  To learn more, please visit


UCR Case Management

Case Managers help students who are experiencing challenges that impact their personal and/or academic life.  If you’re having multiple issues in your personal, family or academic life we can help you prioritize and develop a plan of action. Often students do not know the many services and resources that are available to them, and Case Managers can help you identify and access these helpful resources.


If you’re having multiple issues in your personal, family or academic life and need help prioritizing and developing a plan of action — we can help. You can set up an appointment with a Case Manager by:

Parents and Guardians

If you have a concern about your student and don’t know where to start — we can help.

Faculty and Staff

If you are concerned about a student and need resources or assistance with problem solving, determining how to support students, OR to report students of concern — we can help.

Our office is located in Bannockburn, F-101.  You can set up an appointment with a Case Manager by calling 951-827-5000, or emailing us at

Please visit our website for additional information about our services: